Monday, March 18, 2013

MAC



I like Tolkien. This has been established. Tolkien drew a monogram at one point in his career, and since his death his son and estate have used it to brand his output. It has become a kind of trademark or “stamp” upon his canonical as well as his posthumous work. I don't believe the symbol appeared on any of his first editions. Nevertheless, the simplicity and quasi-mystic occult look of the monogram can't be overstated; it is an amazing symbol.



Following in his Gandalfy footsteps, I've made a monogram from my three names. While I was inspired to do so after seeing his monogram, mine bears little resemblance to Tolkien's, instead it looks more like a band logo. The monogram shows M, as two triangular peaks, with an A between them. The little crescent moon over the top is the C of my last name. It does bear some resemblance to Leviathan's logo, and Storm's Nordavind album cover; a moon over mountaintops. The fact that this monogram is bilaterally symmetrical allows me to make this strange “knot”, which looks like the Norse walknut, a gordian knot, or the Japanese triforce / fishscale mon I sometimes use. It also looks like the fancy “sacred geometry” design that is getting popular after a few centuries of Kabbalistic obscurity. But mainly, it's just my name three times with an extra triangle.

No comments: